Basin High School is an alternative high school option for at-risk students who meet the state criteria for enrollment. An alternative school is a school that has been established to provide instructional courses to eligible at-risk youth so they can earn a high school diploma. Per Idaho Administrative Code and the Idaho State Board of Education, An at-risk youth is any secondary student grade six through twelve (6-12)
who meets any three (3) of the following criteria in Section A, or any one (1) criteria in Section B. (IDAPA 08.02.03 Section 110)
- Have repeated at least one (1) grade.
- Have absenteeism that is greater than ten percent (10%) during the preceding semester.
- Have an overall grade point average that is less than 1.5 (4.0 scale) prior to enrolling in an alternative secondary program.
- Have failed one (1) or more academic subjects in the past year.
- Are below proficient, based on local criteria or standardized tests, or both.
- Are two (2) or more credits per year behind the rate required to graduate or for grade promotion.
- Have attended three (3) or more schools within the previous two (2) years, not including dual enrollment
- Have documented or pattern of substance abuse.
- Are pregnant or a parent.
- Are an emancipated youth or unaccompanied youth.
- Are a previous dropout.
- Have serious personal, emotional, or medical issue(s).
- Have a court or agency referral.
- Demonstrate behavior that is detrimental to your academic progress.
The requirements for graduation from Basin High School have been established by the Board of Trustees of Teton School District 401 within the conformity of the State of Idaho Department of Education guidelines. Students who have successfully met these requirements will receive a diploma from Basin High School.
- 8 English credits
- 6 Math credits
- 6 Science credits
- 1 Speech credit
- 1 Parenting credit
- 2 Humanities/Fine Arts credits
- 2 US History credits
- 1 Economics credit
- 1 Physical Education credit
- 2 US Government credits
- 1 Health credit
- 1 Vocational credit
- 14 Elective credits
In addition to the credits listed above, students are also required to:
- Take the New ISAT by Smarter Balance State Test
- Take CPR Training
- Pass the State of Idaho Civics Exam
- Successfully complete the Senior Project (completed in Senior English)
- Take the ACT or SAT or Compass Test by the end of Grade 11
2017-2018 Block Schedule
Basin High School divides the school year into 16 roughly 2-week** blocks. It should be the goal of every student to complete, on average, one credit per block. While Basin does not require homework, it is strongly suggested that students work at home, in order to achieve this goal. Staff will work with students in setting realistic and attainable academic goals.
**Blocks have been adjusted to align with holidays and the District Calendar
*Students may opt to remain at school during Friday’s Recovery time. There may be times (due to excessive absences/tardies; as loss of privileges/consequence; or due to a Snow Day or other unforeseen circumstances) where attending Friday afternoon will be required. Notice/information will be provided to students and parents/guardians as soon as possible under these circumstances.
For more information:
Ms. Marty Lord: [email protected]
Mrs. Carolee Moulton: [email protected]
Basin Classroom Phone: 208-228-5928
Basin Cell (call/text): 208-399-2250 (Monday – Friday 8 am to 3:30 pm)
Mrs. Nicole Elliott: [email protected]
Office Phone: 208-228-5923 ext. 2036
Cell Phone (call/text): 208-358-9131 (Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm)
Ms. Debra Woolstenhulme: [email protected]
Office Phone: 208-228-5924 ext. 5404